Sunday, November 28, 2010

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

As Isaac's nearing eight months, I've been easing up on my food phobias for him.  I mean, it's not like I'm feeding him peanut butter or shellfish, but I've been more lenient about what he can eat--especially if he tries to take it off of my plate.  Some guidelines suggest waiting a minimum of four days to wait before introducing a new food or spice, but really--if I were to follow that, Isaac might not get to taste, say, tumeric until his teens.  So I threw caution to the wind over Thanksgiving--the holiday that celebrates over-indulging--and Isaac was delighted.

Here's his Thanksgiving dinner:






We have green beans (which he's eaten before in pureed form), mushroom and leek stuffing, squash gratin (he's had butternut but not acorn), mashed potatoes, and turkey--Isaac had never eaten meat before.  The smiley face wasn't intentional, but it sure did reflect Isaac's mood.  He was thrilled with everything--the gratin and mashed potatoes were a particular hit, and the next night, he kept on stealing squash from the leftovers I was eating. 

Isaac also really enjoyed eating bites of turkey from his auntie.  He's very proud of his three teeth and likes to dramatically chew his food.


Eventually, though, Isaac decided that he needed more control over his eating, so I sat him on my lap and gave him free reign.  That's a green bean in his tiny fist.  And in the next photo, he's happily sucking on the plate.



But by far his favorite thing to eat was pumpkin pie.  We just gave him the filling, and he went nuts.  Seriously nuts.  I guess it's the first time he's eaten anything very sweet (though I do add cinnamon and nutmeg to some of his fruit), and clearly Isaac shares my sweet tooth.  David was feeding him bites from his piece of pie when all of the sudden he crawled over to me and tried to grab my entire piece.





If this is any indication, I think I can understand why my parents had to hide desserts from my sister and I when we were kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment