Thursday, August 25, 2011

Something to Say

For the most part, Isaac is pretty content to communicate his needs and desires via pointing, grunting, and jabbering.  He speaks a handful of words and knows the meaning of many more, but when I ask him to use his words, he often gives me an exasperated look and jabbers at me (which I can tell is cursing).


But from talking to other moms and reading about child development, I know a big leap forward, lingusitically, is just around the corner.  Already Isaac surprises us with new words nearly every day.  So far this week, he's said demandingly, "nana, nana!" when David was eating a banana.  He also was smilingly repeating "keys, keys" one morning when he woke up.  (And he does know what keys are.  In fact, he's helped David and I locate ours several times--usually because he's hidden them).

Perhaps the cutest new word though is papa.  Isaac just started saying it last night out of the blue.  He says it with the emphasis on the second syllable, like pa-PAW, which makes him seem like a little nineteenth-century street urchin.  I think, with his pale complexion, big blue eyes, he could really rock the Oliver Twist look.  Perhaps his first sentence will be "please sir, can I have some more?"  And really, if he learned that, there's no way I--or anyone else--could refuse him anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment